Friday, April 25, 2014

Q is for Question ... A-Z Challenge


Lost for the past 24 hours. 

Sober 4 days total. 

For the last 3 days, existed on 4 hours sleep. Insomnia is part of the detox process. Didn't help that I drank copious amounts of a black tea blend called "Awake" -- with spoonfuls of sugar -- which replaces sugar from alcohol the body craves during detox.

Last night's AA meeting sent me into an emotional spiral. Lots of pain.

Returning home, all I could do was sit on the couch and weep uncontrollably. Because of a guy named "Billy." More on him later.

So what to do with my sadness. In the past, pouring some vodka solved the ache. Not an option and frankly, didn't want any. Time to call someone....

No sponsor yet. 

With no desire to call the few girls I know from AA (more fucked up than me), I reached out to my bro. A risk, I know, as he is rarely emotionally available. He answered, in his usual sullen and angry tone. Sounded upset and in a rage.....his broker didn't transfer an investment fast enough, so he lost a few hundred bucks. By the way he sounded, you'd think he lost millions. He ranted on and on. Decided not to share with him the details of the meeting and about Billy.

Called DZP (my boyfriend)....he's out of town in a horrible hotel....in an angry and vengeful mood about the company he works for. Decided to just let him vent, told him I loved him, and then called it a night.

There were others I could have called, but didn't. So I sat, debating how to "heal" myself.

I prayed. Watched a few Cat Comedy videos on YouTube. Played with my Emma...


Nothing helped. Tried to close my eyes -- too wired on so little sleep. And reeling from that AA meeting.

I needed sleep. I needed to eat (no appetite).

Seven Xanex later and a few hits of some resin (which is left over black stuff from pot and over time, turns into a form of hash)...I finally fell into a peaceful trance, where I no longer felt the tremendous burden in my heart.


My stash of resin.

Appetite returned and the tears stopped. And then I slept. Twelve hours.

The Xanex is prescribed. I hoard it and never take any unless I'm flying or giving a presentation. Not a great taker of pills.

I don't consider this a "fail"....as my main addiction is alcohol. My desire to smoke resin --- no desire really --- just so desperate last night for sleep and food. The Xanex...ugh....not a fan, but it aids with severe anxiety.

-----

At last night's meeting, when we go around and talk about our struggles, the AA QUESTION of the day was "How do you love yourself" or in other words "self love."

I planned on confessing my anger toward my girlfriend, who asked me to make that 60 mile trip to the airport ... after she knew I was detoxing ...and on only 1.5 hrs of sleep at the time.
I wanted to confess how selfish I was for feeling that anger....and that part of "recovery" is being of service to others. A change of heart and yes, I felt shame for being so selfish. Hard to love myself lately.

My potential topic soon changed because of "Billy," who spoke before me.

Billy--------a late 50ish, gray-haired, bronzed-skin, towering man (6'5") from the Bronx with a long, lean body like a swimmer, large hands with dirt under his nails, black-stained clothing and scuffed work boots. A working man -- perhaps a mechanic. His huge, kind, blue eyes melt your inhibitions. Believe it or not, still handsome, or at least I think so. A bad boy, too. Formally a heroin addict and some alcoholism with a bastard for a father and a long life of abandonment and abuse.

His father never called him Billy....only "lil bastard", "stupid prick" or  "waste of time." In his wonderful deep, east coast accent and abjectly honest replies, he could narrate any story as well as Morgan Freeman. He's a brilliant story-teller, and I could listen to him all day like a wide-eyed child in complete amazement.

He sat across from me at my initial AA meeting and introduced himself to me first as a stranger. He couldn't take his eyes off my shaking hands and asked me many questions about my addiction. The last few meetings, he sat next to me and kept the conversation going with words of comfort and questions of concern for my well-being.

I loved him instantly. A soul friend. His heart. You can always feel in your gut when someone is a good soul. Billy is one of them.

Billy spoke about not wanting to be a mechanic anymore (I was RIGHT!) after 35 years. And having no-self love because of the lack of affection and attention, as well as emotion/physical abuse from his father. He currently lives in his car and works 5 days/wk at a car shop.

And here's where I lost it at the meeting. Billy's voice began to shake and his deep blue eyes filled with tears. I'm paraphrasing his story:

"What will I do with the rest of my life? I'm a piece of shit and no one will want to hire me. Working on cars is all I've known, since my father took me out of school at 13 and made me work in his shop 18 hours a day. No playing with kids or sleeping in. He's woke me at 5 am every morning, and I wouldn't get dinner until after 10pm. In the shop, every time I made a mistake, my father would hit me hard in the head. I didn't want to get hit anymore, so I got very good at working on cars."

He went on and started crying, this gentle giant of a man:

"I don't even know why I was born. To live hell on earth with this addiction. I'm lost and I don't know what to do with my life. I have no self-love. I hate myself most days. I'm worth nothing to no one. No family. You guys in AA are my only friends. And I don't feel worthy being around you because I have nothing to offer anyone. No purpose in this world..."

Yeah, I fucking lost it. The topic of my girlfriend and the 60 miles----fuck that. I had something to say to him. Big time.

My turn. Trying to hold back a storm of tears (fail), my hands shaking as I reached for tissues, I looked him in the eyes and said (paraphrasing):

"It breaks my heart to hear you say those words -- that you're worth nothing to no one --- you mean so much to me, and you don't even know it. You were the first to introduce yourself to me as a stranger and you comforted me when I was scared and feeling lost at my first meeting. You're an amazing storyteller with a tremendous and memorable voice (cue in others saying yes, yes). God has a purpose for you even if right now just being at the meeting comforting and helping others. Your path will be made known by God, just please have faith and please keep coming to these meetings..."

He looked at me and said "Okay then, it's a date."

We both laughed because he says that to me after every meeting:

"See you tomorrow same time?" he asks

"Yes."

"It's a date!" he calls out to me as I walk out to my car.

BIG SIGH. An emotional meeting!

Can't wait to see my Billy tonight.




5 comments:

  1. Dear Ruby,
    I am so happy for you that you've been able to refrain from drinking for 4 days. You have taken such a giant step and I know you will conquer this. I can tell by the words you write that you are very bright. I know there will be great things in your clean and sober future. And what you did for Billy, Ruby that was amazing. You gave him what he needed and you really meant the words you said to him. It is wonderful that you can and did express your feelings so clearly.

    I am no professional, and have no experience in this, and I understand your need to sleep, but be careful that you're not trading alcohol for another drug (the Xanex and resin). Would it be possible for you to seek (at least) outpatient treatment somewhere to help you through this? Just a thought. I really don't know the answer, but I do know you don't want to get addicted to Xanex just as you are getting off alcohol. Think about the most feasible way to address this. I'm not sure. I wish I knew more and could offer something.

    Good work Ruby!! One day at a time!




    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fancy -- Thank you so much for your support! I agree with the whole Xanex thing --- but the drug itself is not seductive to me like it is for some. And the high doesn't last long and it just puts me to sleep. My addiction is staying up late and being as high as I can for as long as I can. You gave me a great reminder though....not to replace one addiction for another, which I am at risk for doing. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Josie --

    Thanks so much for your love and support as always. Every time I'm in a meeting, and hear the stories, it helps me understand Roscoe better. So many sober men talk about how they lost the best women in their lives because of alcoholism....I'm meant to hear those stories. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. (I just realized that my earlier comment was messed up, so deleted it and reposting it here! :-)

    Wow, powerful meeting indeed, and running with no sleep and much caffeine! I am so, so proud of you for getting to that meeting, tired as you were, and especially for responding to Billy! We both know what a tremendous difference one person's act of kindness can make when we feel hopeless. My heart just aches for people like Billy, I see them every day in my work, and there is so little to offer them that is helpful.

    You have such a tender heart, Ruby, and I know that his story tore you up inside. I am sad that the two people closest to you, or should be, missed the cues that you really needed it to be your turn to be listened to. This happens so often in people who are caretakers, they give and give and give, and when they need a little back, no one sees it. I wish you would have called me, next time do!

    I am so glad that you finally got some decent sleep, your mind and body needed it desperately, as well as enough appetite to eat, so I'm not faulting the means you used to achieve that - bottom line, it worked.

    I think you've done amazingly well in your first four days of sobriety! You are doing it! And as always, attending the meetings isn't just for your own wellbeing, God used you mightily to minister to Billy - right person, right place, right time. This is how life works when we are trying to walk the right path. I love you for your courage and your caring, and I'm cheering that you didn't let the high running emotions of last night derail you. Way to go Sister!! OXOX

    ReplyDelete